M
DK Game Companies | DK Game Productions | Translate | Contact | Latest threads |

| Main forum | Site Content | Jobs | Showcase | Offtopic | Calender |

Username:   Password:   Log me on automatically each visit  

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 19:08 
Level 3 - Infant

Have anyone made anything that looked like a profit (covered their expenses) on VR projects?

Been reading up on VR and if it were financially sane to even think about VR in games, so wondered if anyone in the danish game cluster have any real experience with it yet?

I am personally rather skeptical if it is possible to make a profit on VR games yet, but have heard arguments that VR is a must to include - just haven't seen any valid proof in terms of data that support that claim.

These two articles are rather glum about venturing into VR as well.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2016/07/what-st ... ecosystem/

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... lity-games

Anyway what do you say? any experience that you can share?

Unread postPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 21:09 
Site Admin

On the local scene. Khora VR seems to be most certainly profitable.
Mainly through work for hire client projects.

So I guess it depends on how you approach the business.
One shot game releases is as big a risk as any other platform. And yes, in many cases even more so.

Bƶlwerk games, VR Unicorns still hanging on.

And there is a small handful of (relative to market size) hit games out there already.
These are some of the slightly older SteamVR sales... can't remember the source right now. There was an article.

Currently the VR space is naturally very limited in install base. It's very early days still. As the technology matures with lower price points for the hardware. Better software etc. Everything in VR, WILL only become better and better.

I can only see steady (not explosive) growth in the sector for the foreseeable future. There is a lot of negative press on VR at the moment. But in 3..5..10 years and on, it will be very different ballgame.
I think we will see VR and AR merge eventually. So the new AR/VR world will be both highly useful AND have amazing immersive entertainment. And with enough time. Possibly become the dominant computing platform of our time. It will take quite a while. Decades. But never say never. :)

So if you are thinking about doing a startup? With the right partners and long term investors. I don't think it's the worst idea at all to do a VR startup. Might actually be a really good idea to be one of the defining companies in the early days of VR. Instead of trying to fish in bloody red oceans.
Big 'IF' you can survive the early days that is.