Facts about console vs computer:

Tumme
Level 1 - Speck of dust

Facts about console vs computer:

Unread post by Tumme » 27 Jul 2017, 21:02

Hey guys,
I was wondering with you could help us provide us with some fact or maybe point in the right direction about statics about Console vs computer.
It can be everything – like how many xbox and playstation is there? Is it easier to get into the console marked etc.
I reason we will like this information is, the originally intended for computer but it has potential for console games. It will a LAN multiplayer / single player games. There will be splitscreen on Console but not on Computer, so there is some extra work, we have to but in it.
So, we want to know if it was worth to wait 1 to 2 extra month to release the game for Console?
thank in advance

SomeDane
Level 0 - Null

Re: Facts about console vs computer:

Unread post by SomeDane » 28 Jul 2017, 12:15

PlayStation 4 is at over confirmed at over 60 million sold to consumers as of June 11.
Xbox One is estimated at around half that.
Nintendo Switch is confirmed at just under 5 million.

I have not released any games but I do know that you can self-publish your game on consoles but you need to be a registered developer and go through certification/QA process to release your game. https://www.companyregistration.playstation.com/
This site has some info about the benefits https://www.playstation.com/en-us/develop/
Last edited by SomeDane on 29 Jul 2017, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.

Tumme
Level 1 - Speck of dust

Unread post by Tumme » 28 Jul 2017, 20:43

HEj SomeDane,

Thanks alot for the answer :)

uluulu
Level 3 - Infant

Unread post by uluulu » 29 Jul 2017, 00:00

Development wise it is hell of a lot easier to develop to consoles because you (normally) only have to focus on one hardware spec type per console.

This means that you don't need to work on different resolutions like you do on PC where you have to think about different CPU, GPU, Graphics specs and make sure that your project work across them all.

You don't need to check if your UI/UX designs works well on 1024x768, 1280x720, 1366x768 or 3840×2160 screens. And you won't get an email from the single guy in the world who is pissed about that his game does not work on a 768x1366 resolution after he rotated his screen 90 degrees.

It can be a pain in the neck to test a project on maybe 10-15 different PC's just to see it crash on the Chinese OEM PC brand number 16, that of course are running with a whole other non standard graphics driver for Directx version xyz, and then do bug testing to find the coding error or workaround.

QA wise it is (usually) easier to work on consoles as well.

Console suppliers usually(most of the time) have great support for projects they believe in, or simply have a high enough budget so they can't ignore you.

Btw don't cheap out on the split screen on the PC. Asshole gamers will shit bricks about the lack of functionality if that function is released for console and not on PC, and they WILL let the world know about it on every social media that you can think about.

Is it worth to release on console? It really depends on your sales & marketing model - and what markets that you focus on. (Yes the world is larger than Steam!)

That of course is just from my own humble experience and I am sure that others will completely disagree with me, and swear that PC is easier to work on

SomeDane
Level 0 - Null

Unread post by SomeDane » 29 Jul 2017, 18:44

There are a bunch of videos from the platform holders on YouTube with much of the information you need.
Here two from PlayStation and one from ID@Xbox.

Tumme
Level 1 - Speck of dust

Unread post by Tumme » 30 Jul 2017, 15:09

hey Guys,

Thanks for the great advises :) really use full ^^