Hover Cabby - Crazy Taxi meets Fifth Element

AlexanderBirke
Level 0 - Null

Hover Cabby - Crazy Taxi meets Fifth Element

Unread post by AlexanderBirke » 05 Jul 2020, 12:52

A couple of years ago I thought to myself that it would be fun to play the iconic taxi chase scene from the Fifth Element so that's what I've been working on since then. The game is set in a series of open world cities and the player takes on a bunch of different tasks as a hover driver for hire. Currently we are looking for a publisher or investor to bring the game to market.

This year we got real artwork in and the game started to get a lot more traction!

To make Hover Cabby with a small team I've invested heavily in custom tools and a level editor that allows us to make levels inside the game. This allows players to also create their own cities and mod the game.

If you'd like to tag along on this crazy journey you can follow the game on Twitter and there's also a Discord which I'll use to recruit playtesters.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Re: Hover Cabby - Crazy Taxi meets Fifth Element

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 05 Jul 2020, 22:59

Awesome stuff Alexander! :)

Really nice toolset. Including the boolean tool.

How would you describe the final intended gameplay? Is it simple move stuff from A to B.

Comparative title Cloudpunk seems to have done rather well. Hope you can do something that will grab an audience as well.

Best of luck with the project! :D

David Lindberg
Level 0 - Null

Unread post by David Lindberg » 05 Jul 2020, 23:00

So this is what you've been working on! Looks awesome, especially the map creation tools. If you want someone to talk to about publishing, I can recommend Raw Fury (you can send a message to Johan Toresson at https://twitter.com/jtoresson, though he's on vacation right now).
Alternatively, this looks like it could be wacky enough for Devolver Digital, who I've also heard great things about from one of my friends who published through them. I could hit him up for an email if that sounds interesting as well.
Coffee Stain might also be a bet, as they have an external office in Malmö at Devhub, or maybe even Paradox Interactive (they're mostly on "grand strategy" but they've published a pretty decent variety, so it's worth a shot), who also have offices in the same city. I don't know how close you are to Copenhagen, but it's nice to be able to meet in person without having to plan a massive trip, so I'd wager those are decent bets.

BUT before you approach anyone, or at least while you're doing it, it might be well worth checking out some of the links here in this resource. We had a talk with these guys via Devhub and they're super competent, so there's bound to be some good tips in between. You are probably mostly interested in the "fundraising" category, given your current stage of development:

https://elitegamedevelopers.com/blog/

Other than that, the concept sounds really fun and I'd love to see how it evolves!

Cheers,
- Dave

AlexanderBirke
Level 0 - Null

Unread post by AlexanderBirke » 06 Jul 2020, 17:08

jonaz.dk wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 22:59
How would you describe the final intended gameplay? Is it simple move stuff from A to B.

Comparative title Cloudpunk seems to have done rather well. Hope you can do something that will grab an audience as well.
Thanks Jonas! Cloudpunk's success is indeed a good sign. Compared to that title, HC will be much more focused on juicy gameplay over narrative. There'll be a bunch of different job that the player repeats for highscores and currency such as:

- Taxi delivery akin to Crazy Taxi
- Delivering wobbly wedding cakes strapped to the top of your cab
- Showing tourists as many sights in a given time frame
- Stunt driving
- Tailing and pursuing other cars for a private eye

There will be unique story missions as well.

AlexanderBirke
Level 0 - Null

Unread post by AlexanderBirke » 06 Jul 2020, 17:27

David Lindberg wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 23:00 So this is what you've been working on! Looks awesome, especially the map creation tools. If you want someone to talk to about publishing, I can recommend Raw Fury (you can send a message to Johan Toresson at https://twitter.com/jtoresson, though he's on vacation right now).
Alternatively, this looks like it could be wacky enough for Devolver Digital, who I've also heard great things about from one of my friends who published through them. I could hit him up for an email if that sounds interesting as well.
Coffee Stain might also be a bet, as they have an external office in Malmö at Devhub, or maybe even Paradox Interactive (they're mostly on "grand strategy" but they've published a pretty decent variety, so it's worth a shot), who also have offices in the same city. I don't know how close you are to Copenhagen, but it's nice to be able to meet in person without having to plan a massive trip, so I'd wager those are decent bets.

BUT before you approach anyone, or at least while you're doing it, it might be well worth checking out some of the links here in this resource. We had a talk with these guys via Devhub and they're super competent, so there's bound to be some good tips in between. You are probably mostly interested in the "fundraising" category, given your current stage of development:

https://elitegamedevelopers.com/blog/

Other than that, the concept sounds really fun and I'd love to see how it evolves!

Cheers,
- Dave
Thanks David I didn't know about that resource I'll check it out! I am now based in Copenhagen so I should reach out to them. Devolver Digital is also a good bet I spoke to them years ago but they haven't seen the latest version so if you could facilitate an introduction that would be fab. My email is alex@outofboundsgames.com

Wikzo
Level 19 - Wario

Unread post by Wikzo » 14 Jul 2020, 12:56

It has been interesting to follow the progress with your game. Your GIFs are looking super cool! :)