[Devlog] Project XB (Untitled)

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Re: A peek at Project XB (Dark alien shooty shooty game) early work in progress

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 03 May 2021, 10:52

Tak tak @ZeroHero :)

Faktisk er karakteren allerede godt under budget på tricount. De nuværende Unreal Engine mannequins er på 41K tris. Og der er helt sikker plads til at trække den længere ned hvis der bliver behov for det. Blender er forresten **FLIPPING MAGIC!!** når man har en skinnet mesh og hiver lidt i tri count med decimante modifieren. Bortset fra det bliver lidt en trekantssuppe. Men det kan man ikke se in-game alligevel så det går nok når UVs og skin weights informationen overlever.
Der kommer så flere bones i min karakter som koster lidt. Men tror det går!?! Skal i hvert fald holde øje med performance og antal bones. (Update: Eller nej ved nærmere eftersyn kommer der færre eller ca. samme antal bones!) :)

Og så er der selvfølgelig spawning og AI cost. Men har allerede lavet noget arbejde der som det kører ok nice. En C++ optimering længere henne i projektet vil helt sikkert kunne give en del.

Men som udgangspunkt har jeg ikke de store bekymringer. Er generelt imponeret over UE4 performance.
Selv på et gammelt GTX 650 skulle seneste build faktisk køre fint i nuværende form. (call me super surprised!) :D

Og hvis det skulle være helt galt kunne man kigge lidt på Niagara til crowds... it's amazeballs! Har godt nok ikke brug for SÅ store crowds som det viste. Sådan i hvert fald liiige indtil jeg finder på noget andet senere måske. ;)
Og nok ikke noget jeg får kigget på nu og her. Men en mulig fremtidig optimering. Skal lige få set lidt på denne her video om hvor brugbart det er til mit formål.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Re: A peek at Project XB (Dark alien shooty shooty game) early work in progress

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 11 May 2021, 01:15

Work in progress rigging.
Rig almost done.. I'm done for the night at least.

Also!! First rig in Blender EVER! :) Learning lots of new stuff and hoping I'm not screwing too much stuff up!
Trying to get as much procedural animation in the rig as possible with the standard tools. Hope it works out!
Also also... I really like rigging in Blender.. It's flipping awesome so far! Can't wait to get the character up and running in Unreal with physics on guts and gory parts. :cool: I'd rather have to scale it down a notch than not do cool stuff. :)

Also super happy I chose to do the character myself as opposed to just grabbing some random monster off the shelf which I did consider. Really nice to go through the full learning process and pipeline in Blender to Unreal.

Skinning will be interesting.. hope everything goes well when I get some time!

Pulling around single bones in Blender.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Re: [Devlog] Project XB (Untitled)

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 18 May 2021, 01:39

Small update for tonight's work.
Biggest challenge still remains finding time+energy to work on the project. Busy life!

But skinning is done! And exported to Unreal. Stuff works first try! :D Yay!

Though skinning was not as smooth in Blender as the rigging part. It's quite tedious when you have to do manual tweaks going back and forth between the modes of weight painting and posing. I'm used to working in 3dsmax years ago and there are no special modes like in Blender. The process more or less blends together making it a lot easier to skin and check the poses.
Though the out of the box automatic skinning in Blender is pretty sweet! But it does need some manual tweaks to get really going. Especially on this type of more complex character with some special functionality.

The whole shading looks a bit different from Mixer with pretty default shader setup in Unreal. Obviously the lighting is different. Some limbs are detachable so I hope I will be able to shoot them off at some point and have them ragdoll around with splatter splatter/gore particles all over the place.

Next on the table.. doing the needed animation. And figuring out how the hell to implement an actual animated character in the game. 8O

Also this is just a test animation done in like 5 seconds only moving the pelvis to verify the skeleton and skinning works. No physics on gory parts yet. Might be a bit (or most certainly) overkill and should probably be done in animation and you might not even notice in the game... buuuut.. I'll give it a shot anyways. Because cool! :)
In that process of physics setup I would sadly have to watch a lot of Unreal boob-physics tutorial videos. It's a hard job but I will push through with vigilance for the greater cause!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 08 Jun 2021, 00:46

So! It's been a while with an update. Too little geektime in my life. :cry:
The individual animations didn't really take a lot of time. But finding little time and energy here and there has been challenging. Also I shouldn't work on the project till 2 in the night.. damn that sucks the energy out of my old system. :|
Maybe till 1 in the night is just fine. So I think I'll go for that. ;)

So now a first pass on the animations for the alien creature is done!
Pretty happy how the rig performed. I know it's not perfect for everything. But for these very specific animations it held up pretty great! :D
Obviously it would be suuuper nice with a ton of other animations to really bring the creature to life. But that would have to be pushed to much later in the project. Because time! Always time. :rolleyes

Also.. I'm pretty rusty in 3D animation in general. It's been many years since the last 3D animation. These are also my first Blender character animations ever! Used to do animations on Hugo the troll in 3dsmax many many moons ago and I got a bit bored with animation in the process and haven't touched it much since. A little here and there including 2D animation in Spine, but not a whole lot. Fun to pick it up again after some years on pause and in new software.

Pretty happy with the results so far!
Hope I don't have to go back and tweak too much when the animations eventually makes it into the game and things shows for real how it works. But that should be expected.

And now for Blender GIFs time!
Fairly close to the camera angle you see in the game.

Attack animation

Hurt animation

Idle animation (The GIF loop is not perfect and the animation isn't either.. so should fix that)

Run animation (Should be faster.. but that is easy tweaking)

Walk animation

ZeroHero
Level 32 - Kirby

Unread post by ZeroHero » 08 Jun 2021, 11:12

Looks pretty sweet If you ask me! Good to see progress. Keep it coming!