Fun factor test

TriggeredChicken
Level 4 - Newbie

Fun factor test

Unread post by TriggeredChicken » 23 Jul 2021, 10:12

Hi there people!

I made a small prototype that I think is quite fun, but before going further it would be nice to know if it's just me :D If you think it's boring af that is valuable information, så don't hold back ;)

Give it a go here (Unity, WebGL)):

https://maps0pwe0sa.blob.core.windows.n ... index.html (go fullscreen, it's much better!)

You can literally complete it in seconds, my best time is 7.36 seconds :cool: Anything under 10 sec. is approved :D

Controls: WASD or arrow keys. R to replay your latest attempt.

Screenshot or it didn't happen:

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Re: Fun factor test

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 23 Jul 2021, 12:32

Fun test passed! :D
It works! It has this nice catchy loop where you just need to say fuck this shit and play that one my time. Good job! Nice with the little shortcuts if your skill level is up for it.

Totally not in any competing run with my only 12 point something seconds level completion. Too old man!
Might give it some time later to get under the magic 10 seconds line. ;)

**Update 8.88! YAY! Also it's a bit strange that you can complete the level when one of the flying thingies hits the goal and not the player.
But I'll take it! :cool: :D

One suggestion for the structure of the game is to have (almost) all levels unlocked from the beginning. And you can enter whatever and the compete on time (+starts?) for each individual level instead. Just makes it more accessable to jump into pretty much any level from the get go. Or have the ability to skip levels if you go for a more traditional level unlocking structure.

Nice additional bonus is having ghost runs from other players as you play.

TriggeredChicken
Level 4 - Newbie

Unread post by TriggeredChicken » 23 Jul 2021, 13:24

>>One suggestion for the structure of the game is to have (almost) all levels unlocked from the beginning

Might actually be a good idea. I'll keep that in mind.

>>Nice additional bonus is having ghost runs from other players as you play.
Dark Souls :p Dark Slugs? He does kinda look like a slug.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 23 Jul 2021, 17:10

DarkSlugs has a nice ring to it. But not sure it thematically hits is perfect with a Dark Souls pun.
Finding the perfect title is hard work if it has to be perfectly thematic, memorable, non generic and not taken. 🤔

What about 'Slugs on coke'
Or CokeSlugs.
(With intended mishearing?!) 🤔😅
So the back story could be that a street dealer throws his dope after being chased away by the cops and the slugs are having A MAJOR COKE PARTY! 🐌🤯🥳

Well just a silly suggestion. Looking forward to seeing more from the project. 👍

The ghost runs could also be the players own x amount of runs if the whole online thing from other players is too much work. Atleast that could be the starting point if you want to add a little extra.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 24 Jul 2021, 10:38

'Slugs on Drugs'

Anyways don't mind my feature creep ideas. 😉

A simple implementation could be to leave a tiny tombstone whereever a slug dies on the level.
And have them be permanent between games.
And is otherwise just a visual reminder of mortality.

Bonus feature: Additionaly you could mouse over and reveal more info like their name, life time, a little story from their life. Eg:

Stan
Life time 5,03 seconds
Stan lived a full life of love and compassion.
Tragically ending horribly and all too soon.
Stan will be missed, love Mom.

Also visually I think it's great to keep it simple and clear as you are doing now.
There is no need for a detailed and cluttered frame.
Bonus feature: it's really fast to produce.

TriggeredChicken
Level 4 - Newbie

Unread post by TriggeredChicken » 24 Jul 2021, 11:35

Slugs on Drugs is not bad :D Or maybe Chuck the Smug Slug. Subtitle: Tough as snails.

I do wan't some of the online features, that is one of the goals of the project. I'm working on UI and level (de)serializing atm, but next week I might have to do some grown-up work :( I suspect I have something interesting primo september.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 24 Jul 2021, 11:52

👍

Nah yeah it's probably a good idea to leave out any online features and just focus on the core game. At least for now. If it shows promise it can be added later.
Also depends where you are going with the project. Solo indie hobby projects should usually be kept super simple in order to finish them. Don't be stupid like me! 😉
Unless you are doing the next Stardew Valley.
Only you know how much time you have for the project.
Kick ass and get down with some workation!
🏖🤓💻

TriggeredChicken
Level 4 - Newbie

Unread post by TriggeredChicken » 24 Jul 2021, 11:58

Actually I said I *DO* want online features :D That was the goal from the start.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 24 Jul 2021, 12:03

Haha misread there. 😅👍 At least it's a known bug in my system. 😬🐜
Cool man!

Code
Level 39 - Hitman

Unread post by Code » 25 Jul 2021, 15:14

fun it is! Although I would like a restart button that I can use and restart as soon as I know I failed.
Spiludvikling og undervisning i Unity3D
http://www.code.dk

Danmarksmesterskabet i spiludvikling.
http://www.dmspil.dk