Build A World - BETA progress

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Re: Build A World - BETA 0.5 ude d. 23 April

Unread post by sodandk » 02 Nov 2013, 02:59

We are soon ready with the next release of BAW. Among many things are
pipes, pumps, steam, steam turbines, uranium etc.

Here are 2 simple pipes with pumps, that fills a little pool with water. Pipe-systems can be created or modified on the fly, and have any length.

Here is a confined-box (side and top made of glass), and inside are uranium-rods, that boils the water and creates steam.
The steam comes out of the pipes on the top.
The game automatically knows when an area/box in confined, so that steam can build up pressure. If you remove one or more blocks from the area,
the steam goes 'puff', since there is no pressure anymore, and so the steam vaporizes.
There are no rules imposed on the user on how to build these things! Just build it as you like, but remember the laws of physics and it will work... the game will
automatically find out.

Here we went OTT and built an entire nuclear powerplant, with 2 reactors and 2 large steamturbines, cooling towers etc.
This plant will automatically be added to large cities to deliver power.
This large plant, uses the same rules as the small example above.
Water from a water source to a confined box, with uranium rods, that created steam, and steam to the turbines, which generates power,
and finally steam to the coolingtower.
(We will added oil and coal burning too, which will work the same way, just start an oven below the water-box and there you go.

Enjoy the rest of the pics :-)

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 03 Nov 2013, 16:13

nice! et funktionerende simuleret atomkraftværk. lyder vildt at designe!
kører det også på thorium? :)

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Unread post by sodandk » 03 Nov 2013, 16:50

jonaz.dk wrote:nice! et funktionerende simuleret atomkraftværk. lyder vildt at designe!
kører det også på thorium? :)
det forurener meget... rigtigt meget ved nedsmeltning.

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Unread post by sodandk » 03 Nov 2013, 22:26

Cool, like the turbine.
Will there also be a big dome encasing the reactor vessel itself?
Will there be separate water closed loops with a heat exchanger like in a real one?

Will there also be a hydroelectric dam? (that can burst and do other fun things too of course)
Will there also be a concentrated solar thermal plant? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentrated_solar_power
You can make it look like you want, dome or not. Many different designs around the world.
We didnt do the heat exchnager yet, but we will shortly add a heat-transfer-block for use with oil, coil, wood burning.

You can build your own dam in the mountains or something, and yes, we will be adding a hydro-electric. In norway, for example, they
use leftover energy from windpower to pump up water to dam's, and when there is no wind, they let out the water to produce power.
You can do the same here.

We will also add wave-energy.

The concentrated one is a good idea, also this I idea I really like:
http://www.treehugger.com/renewable-ene ... watts.html

Thanks, the solar tower looks really cool.

Didn't know wave energy was included.
The idea of having the dome is to have the nuclear reactor itself clearly visible.
Also in this game it would be fun to blow it up, fly an air plane into it or something. So the dome or other thing would be a big help with that.

There are also steam and gas power plants with air cooling. Maybe it's a good idea to make the things modular a bit or something. Whole turbine, dynamo building separately, whole reactor building separately, whole reactor towers separately so in the game you can choose which variation you want without tons of building, rebuilding or tons of options. Being able to build a nuclear reactor building with a safe, more expensive barrier around it or not would be a good thing. It's a bit subtler than nukes or renewable s to demonstrate trade-offs and the challenges of energy solutions in society. Dealing with cost temptations should definitely be included in the educational energy message.

Also found out CSP has also been available in panels like PV: http://www.gizmag.com/madagascar-villag ... cpv/29421/
It's very scalable. There are also kits that consist of a panel the size and appearance of a tv dish with a small heat collector and converter on it.
The 2 reactors are inside the box-like buildings with orange sign on them, I and II,
but the user can build it how you want it to look, and since the next update also will have the Model Library, you can easily
save to model lib, or get entire models with a click from the model lib and share with other players, for fast building as you say.
... so save an entire plant and paste :-) here is a small preview of the model lib (from a test user): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgpUA1HRNjA

Yes, protect the plant against attackers will be fun in the upcoming mission-pvp-mode.

There are so many ideas in our list, and we will add them one by one.

weapons are gonna be fun ... :-D ... weapons are actually easy to make, but we wait a bit before introducing them, but then, trust me,
hell will brake loose... with our fullspeed gravity-system, check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUKR43yZ3Qk

:mrgreen:

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Unread post by sodandk » 08 Nov 2013, 01:22

Auto-generated cities with user-made models are now working! The city is powered by the nuclear powerplant, and
the city's powergrid, is one complete interconnected powergrid, with thousands of wires, and hundred of
power transformers. Cut some powerlines and see part of the city with out power!
Will add a ton of more buildings for a good mixed city. Also we will add houses, bridges etc. to the other types of landscapes,
like small villages, farms etc.
Users can also design models, which can be added to the map-generator.

Enjoy the pics where 2 diffent 'nature-types' mix. :mrgreen:

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Unread post by sodandk » 08 Nov 2013, 12:49

walk around in the world and make a copy of something, or build something and copy it.
Go to the model editor and clean up the model or remodel... then you have it ready for later, ready to paste
anywhere in the world. Or share your models with other players on a server, or make it public for anybody to use.

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Unread post by sodandk » 11 Nov 2013, 20:22

Preview Movie of Big Cities, Nuclear Powerplant, Model Library and more.

04DrnY_W3y8

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Unread post by sodandk » 12 Nov 2013, 14:14

_N_h3sHj3ZE

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Unread post by sodandk » 19 Nov 2013, 14:21

ups, en bug ...

Image[/img]

AdrianCrawford
Level 0 - Null

Unread post by AdrianCrawford » 30 Nov 2013, 08:15

sodandk wrote:
Cool, like the turbine.
Will there also be a big dome encasing the reactor vessel itself?
Will there be separate water closed loops with a heat exchanger like in a real one?

Will there also be a hydroelectric dam? (that can burst and do other fun things too of course)
Will there also be a concentrated solar thermal plant? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentrated_solar_power
You can make it look like you want, dome or not. Many different designs around the world.
We didnt do the heat exchnager yet, but we will shortly add a heat-transfer-block for use with oil, coil, wood burning.

You can build your own dam in the mountains or something, and yes, we will be adding a hydro-electric. In norway, for example, they
use leftover energy from windpower to pump up water to dam's, and when there is no wind, they let out the water to produce power.
You can do the same here.

We will also add wave-energy.

The concentrated one is a good idea, also this I idea I really like:
http://www.treehugger.com/renewable-ene ... watts.html

Thanks, the solar panels tower looks really cool.

Didn't know wave energy was included.
The idea of having the dome is to have the nuclear reactor itself clearly visible.
Also in this game it would be fun to blow it up, fly an air plane into it or something. So the dome or other thing would be a big help with that.

There are also steam and gas power plants with air cooling. Maybe it's a good idea to make the things modular a bit or something. Whole turbine, dynamo building separately, whole reactor building separately, whole reactor towers separately so in the game you can choose which variation you want without tons of building, rebuilding or tons of options. Being able to build a nuclear reactor building with a safe, more expensive barrier around it or not would be a good thing. It's a bit subtler than nukes or renewable s to demonstrate trade-offs and the challenges of energy solutions in society. Dealing with cost temptations should definitely be included in the educational energy message.

Also found out CSP has also been available in panels like PV:
http://www.gizmag.com/madagascar-villag ... cpv/29421/
It's very scalable. There are also kits that consist of a panel the size and appearance of a tv dish with a small heat collector and converter on it.
The 2 reactors are inside the box-like buildings with orange sign on them, I and II,
but the user can build it how you want it to look, and since the next update also will have the Model Library, you can easily
save to model lib, or get entire models with a click from the model lib and share with other players, for fast building as you say.
... so save an entire plant and paste :-) here is a small preview of the model lib (from a test user): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgpUA1HRNjA

Yes, protect the plant against attackers will be fun in the upcoming mission-pvp-mode.

There are so many ideas in our list, and we will add them one by one.

weapons are gonna be fun ... :-D ... weapons are actually easy to make, but we wait a bit before introducing them, but then, trust me,
hell will brake loose... with our fullspeed gravity-system, check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUKR43yZ3Qk

:mrgreen:
I hope your picutres become real world soon.. Lot less pollution and clean air to breathe.. We can make best use of natural renewable sources to generate energy.. I am excited now:)

krolldk
Level 5 - Youngling

Unread post by krolldk » 04 Dec 2013, 11:26

holy crap..... this looks amazing.

great stuff !

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Unread post by sodandk » 04 Dec 2013, 16:25

it goes fremad :-)

Mad5kill5
Level 0 - Null

Unread post by Mad5kill5 » 07 Dec 2013, 22:51

Kan vi få en ide om hvad planen er med selve game playet, nu hvor der er ret fede våben man kan gøre noget med :)
For jeg ser bestemt i fremtiden servers hvor der kan kommer krig om Guld sølv diamanter eller Olie felter, ja spillet har virkelig potentiale til at blive alt alt for vildt og kan få minecraft og alle dens mods til at blegne.

Jeg kan kun sige en ting, keep up the work, og er der mangel på ider smæk en PM afsted, men hjerne er fuld med dem.

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Unread post by sodandk » 09 Dec 2013, 12:35

Hej

Planen for spillets gameplay er opdelt i disse 4 hovedkategorier:

* Survival
Start from Scracth
Explore the world
Learn the game

* Big World
Take part in the modern world
Work with energy, machines and farming
Be ready for conflicts and coorporation

* Designer Mode
Unleash your imagination and build your own wonder
Team up with other builders
Free access to all blocks
(Model Library)

* Missions
Player vs. Player games
Tasks and Achievements
Puzzles and Games
Educational Lessons for schools

I kategorien missions, kommer der 'drag'n'drop' regler, så man sætte kriterier for hvornår en 'mission' / et spil er slut. Det kunne være:
sidste overlevende har vundet, der er scoret 5 mål, hold liv i farmen, byg rumraket og flyv til rumskib osv.

Man kan sætte 'hold-klodser' i verdenen, altså 1,2,3 osv. og spillene går så hen til den klods / det hold de vil være på, og når man er enig, så trykker admin/op START, og spillerne spawner de steder hvor det er bestemt, og så spilles der efter de regler som er aktiveret.

Der er planlagt holdspil og klaner.

Ideer er altid velkomne, du kan maile til sodan@buildaworld.net

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Unread post by sodandk » 11 Dec 2013, 17:11

lots of Industrial blocks added:
click gallery https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 875&type=3

Code
Level 38 - Roger Wilco

Unread post by Code » 11 Dec 2013, 22:51

Nice, haven't checked in a while, glad to see things are evolving so nicely :)
Spiludvikling og undervisning i Unity3D
http://www.code.dk

Danmarksmesterskabet i spiludvikling.
http://www.dmspil.dk

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Unread post by sodandk » 07 Feb 2014, 13:43

Blocks and Constructions can be connected by signal lines. They can be affected and controlled in many ways, by easily connecting them.
Functional blocks and constructions like timers, doors, elevators, pressure plates, springs, pistons, conveyor belts, buttons, switches, controller blocks, radiotransmitters, weapons, railroad tracks, trains, traffic signals and lots more.

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Unread post by sodandk » 07 Feb 2014, 13:53

Blocks that falls fast, will become rubble, when they hit the ground. Rubble slides like sand.

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Unread post by sodandk » 07 Feb 2014, 13:57

Also an extensive Player-ranking and achievement system is in the works, and also mission/scenariomode which will allow for players to play PvP, teams vs teams, and choose rules by simple click on/off any of the many rules to choose from.

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Unread post by sodandk » 24 Feb 2014, 01:23

Så er vi ved at være på trapperne med ny stor update. Der er for mange ting til at nævne her,
men bla. mulighed for at Publishe og Share modeller via spillet eller websitet.

Alle brugere kan så browse rundt i modeller og bruge dem.
Godt arbejde af Laust Nielsen og Adrian A.

Denne model 'Industrial Area', er lavet af mindre modeller, men samlet sammen som en kæmpe model.
Man kan så trykke 'Use' og så ellers paste og rotere den som man lyster ude i verdenen, og blande
den med andre modeller eller oprette nye. Faktisk samme funktioner som i en teksteditor. Cut, Copy, Paste,
Replace, Delete osv. Simpelt. Perfekt kodning af Michael Larsen.

Hele Industrial Area Modellen (se nedenfor) tog ca. 3 timer at lave udfra andre modeller (bygninger mv.)

Modellen indeholder ledninger, døre, Signal Lines (control blokke med styring osv.)

Her er modellen pastet ind i landskabet... ja og så måtte vi lige smadre den :-D
Build A World har også fået opdateret tyngdekraft-systemet, til det sublime... vi er ved
V3 af tyngdekraft. V4 in the works.
LEGO go home ;-)

Vi arbejder også på et player ranking system.... skærmbilleder er DRAFT.
Ranking kan KUN opnås i Survival Mode.

I næste update har vi også første version med af Signal Lines, som er mulighed for
'kontrolblokke' og mulighed for at styre alt muligt med dem.

Herefter starter udvikling af PvP. Spiller mod spiller. Hold mod Hold. Kunne være
1) Plant flest jordbær planter, sørg for at vande dem, og høst først 500 jordbær
2) World of Tanks lignende map, med f.eks. flere hold i en by og så kan spillere køre rundt
og smadre løs i en fuldt destruerbar by, der kan både kan styrte sammen, men også brænde osv.
3) Capture the Flag.
osv osv.

Vi kigger også på CUDA integration.
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-nsi ... io-edition
Hvis det virker godt, kan en del af det tunge kode, køre direkte på GPU'en.
Det ville sparke ultra r*v.

Kæmpe tak til Yez (BAW QA Lead) for knaldgodt arbejde og support.

Fuld skrue og håret tilbage!
Sodan

"Intel's chips violate OpenGL more than Java violates common sense"
- Mat K. (BAW Shader Developer)

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Re: Build A World - BETA progress

Unread post by sodandk » 27 Feb 2014, 00:09

New bunch of pictures of the next version. Here the big cities with more buildings and doors etc.

click for gallery
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 875&type=1

sodandk
Level 28 - Kraken

Re: Build A World - BETA progress

Unread post by sodandk » 27 Feb 2014, 00:12

Fra Jonatan Dyre, som er Build A World's game desginer og undervisningsdel-designer:

"Jeg leder efter folk med interesse for naturfag, fysik og teknik og computerspil, gerne skolelærere eller lærerseminarie studerende.

Jeg er med til at lave et computerspil ”Build a World.

”Build a World” er et klods bygnings spil i same genre som Minecraft. En verden af klodser med en masse fysik, der gør at spillet simulerer mange mekanismer fra virkeligheden. Det er et moderne spil i en moderne verden, med elektricitet, tyngdekraft, vind og vejr, økosystemer og naturkatastrofer.

Spillet kan tjekkes ud her
https://www.facebook.com/BuildAWorld.net

Det spil vil vi gerne have har en undervisningsdel. Det kunne være scenarier og opgaver, eller andet der kan bruges i undervisning. Vi har tænkt at den del af spillet skal være gratis at bruge i undervisningsbrug.

Men undervisningsdelen skal bygges og udvikles. Til det søger vi nogle engagerede natur, fysik og teknik interesserede, skolelærere og studerende, som har lyst til at stille deres ekspertise til rådighed og være med til at skitsere, lave og afprøve moduler til undervisningsbrug i vores spil.

Jeg forestiller mig at vi når at have 20 scenarier/lektioner i spillet når det udkommer. Så må vi se hvad det udvikler sig til senere.

Hvis det er noget for dig så lad høre fra dig!"

skriv til jonatan.dyre snabela gmail.com