OUYA experience

EKnudsen
Level 7 - Spellcaster

OUYA experience

Unread post by EKnudsen » 21 May 2015, 14:31

Hi everybody,

I have been investigating different markets and platforms the last couple of days. One platform I looked into was the OUYA (the forgotten platform), but haven't really heard any war stories from Danish devs publishing on OUYA?

The Danish made game Back to Bed is rated 29th on their O-Rank, which is the OUYA's internal ranking system, so at least the Danish game industry have some presence on this console - but what have the experience been? Does anyone else in here have any experience with releasing on OUYA they can share?

I'd love to share myself, but still not sure if it is a platform we want to spend time getting into, but if we start doing it I'll be happy share our experience.

/Eske

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Re: OUYA experience

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 22 May 2015, 08:15

Hi Eske. :)

I was just at Nordic Game where they actually ranking all their release platforms according to a score. Based on how much money they made on the game on that specific platform. Versus how much trouble it was getting on it. In their case the Ouya didn't fare very well. But mostly due to the fact that they made almost no money on the release.
Ouya has amazing developer support and accessibility. And is super easy to port to if you already have an Android version running.

You could argue that Back to be Bed might not be the most obvious fit for a console platform. And in general should not be perceived as a economically viable option you should count your survival on. ;)
I see Ouya as a way for micro indies with lightweight projects to get some early feedback and data on before a possible "real" console release. It could have some value there.
The last news I think was the Ouya is pretty screwed as a company. And looking for a buyer.

EKnudsen
Level 7 - Spellcaster

Unread post by EKnudsen » 22 May 2015, 10:31

Hi thanks for the fresh info - straight out of Nordic Game. If you happened to snap a picture of those rankings I'd love to see it.

The only reason I started considering the OUYA was the ease of getting an android build onto the platform, more of a "why not?", but as we all know even though it is "easy" it still requires a bit of man power and a few unexpected things happen etc.

But seeing it as a proof of concept console might be the right way. Not a viable business for the console though, I also wonder how many OUYAs are actually out there and still being used?

Anyone else who has insights or experiences with the platform?

buchardt
Level 17 - Jade Raymond

Unread post by buchardt » 22 May 2015, 11:33

YO Eske,

I know that http://www.glitchnap.com/ has a game out on the forgotten platform... It's LazaKnitez: https://www.ouya.tv/game/LAZA-KNITEZ/

Funny enough they do not disclose this on their website... http://www.lazaknitez.com/#buy

- Peter

Wikzo
Level 19 - Wario

Unread post by Wikzo » 22 May 2015, 17:43

Found this picture on Twitter (from @InteractiveDK):

I really liked the concept behind OUYA, and I enjoyed playing around with it in the beginning, but it has gone downhill ever since its launch and the company is in financial troubles.

Report: Ouya is up for quick sale (also read the comments)

Having owned the console from day one (Kickstarter), I only ever spent money on 2-3 titles. I don't think many buy games on the store; they either play free games or use it as an emulator.

But if you have a game that can easily be ported to Android, sure, go ahead and try it. I did that myself with a few game jam games, just to get the cool feeling of having released something (free) on a console.