News! Tech! Tools! Talks! Games! And Stuff Worth Sharing!

køkkenting
Level 2 - Grain of sand

Re: News! Tech! Tools! Talks! Games! And Stuff Worth Sharing!

Unread post by køkkenting » 09 Sep 2021, 23:18

Svar nr. 1000 (sorry :blush )

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 10 Sep 2021, 00:08

Hahahaha! 1000 thread-post-stealing Troll!!! Slemme @køkkenting 😂😂
Den er lige til at komme over kænet på! ;) 👋🍑💥

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 10 Sep 2021, 07:47

God of War: Ragnarok

Played the first of the latest God of War for a bit. It was absolutely gorgeous! Buuuut in contrast to all the positive vibes it has received I never really completely fell in love with the game. So it kind of ended up stranded half way through and never completing it (In relative terms half way is actually really good by my standard) ;) Combat and pacing didn't really click 100% for me. Hard to put my finger on exactly what didn't click. :/
Perhaps there was just too much time spent on traversal looking for something to activate, finding some chest I couldn't open because I didn't have the right thingie yet, cut scene stuff while not going hulk smash on everything as you would expect in a >GOD< of >WAR< kind of game.. hmmm. :rolleyes So I never get into that sweet constant combat flow state. But rather a constant stream of mode switching and small disappointing.. 'oh this if the later?!'
In general I don't click with a lot of AAA stuff for a lot of similar reasons.

But I can sure appreciate the visuals of Ragnarok. Fine fine work as usual!

God of War: Ragnarok

**update Oh part of a larger Playstation showcase.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 13 Sep 2021, 12:35

Firmaet bag verdenskendt lejemorder vendte truende konkurs til succes
De har skabt en af Danmarkshistoriens største spilsucceser med Hitman, men for fire år siden var IO Interactive ved at dreje nøglen om. Hakan Abrak købte de japanske ejere ud, vendte skuden og arbejder nu på en ny franchise, der skal sikre fremtiden for spilfirmaet.

https://www.tv2lorry.dk/viljen-til-succ ... til-succes

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 13 Sep 2021, 19:58

The Non-Sugarcoated Actual Cost of Making a Video Game with Mike Rose

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 15 Sep 2021, 00:29

The Game Prototype That Had to Be Banned by Its Own Studio

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 15 Sep 2021, 00:38

Got around to play the Cultic demo published by 3D Realms, (not developed). It's actually pretty cool! Finished the demo.. so that speaks. The game was revealed at the recent Realms Deep event.
I certainly have a good feeling about this one! I'm sure it will find the boomer shooter loving audience.

Fundamentally there is nothing new under the sun here. That's not important It's just a well crafted boomer shooter if you are into that sort of thing. So that's cool!

Free demo on Steam of the first level!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 16 Sep 2021, 08:27

How Arkane Studios Designed Prey - Documentary

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 17 Sep 2021, 01:26

So just got back from watching DUNE in Imperial in Copenhagen on their new THX Ultimate Cinema audio and video system. Supposedly the only system available in Europe at this current time. It was most certainly a big part of giving the movie experience that extra punch, immersion and vibrancy. I'm sure the IMAX experience is pretty close. It was indeed loud!.. cool with me.

Got back with feeling that I just wanted to see part 2.. like RIGHT NAAAW!!
The worst part of the movie was that it ended. ;)
Crossing fingers part 2 will actually happen.
** Update! Sounds like Dune: Part 2 is very likely! :D
https://www.gamesradar.com/dune-2-will- ... euve-says/
And a tv-series (DUNE: Sisterhood is also in the works) for HBO Max exclusively.

Denis Villeneuve has another bad ass seal of approval in my book for sure.

I will not go into details but everything was pretty top notch (I have only some small nitpicks) and coherently well told. You were never really in doubt of what and why things were happening. Though of cause I walked into the movie with foreknowledge of the 1984 movie (but quite faint in memory) and the universe in general through games and the like. Though having never read the books.

Ok last time I'll post the trailer.. if it ever so slightly peeks your interest I do certainly recommend the full blown high powered cinema experience as opposed to HBO streaming it or otherwise. If you in any shape enjoy dark and hyper brutalist sci-fi things.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 17 Sep 2021, 08:25

Free stuffs on Steam for a limited time

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 17 Sep 2021, 10:14

DK release by newcomer Paction Games ApS from Korsør.

Masked Thievery
Do you have what it takes to become a master thief? Yes? Well, then it’s time to steal! Get your stealthy boots on and sneak your way through heavily guarded environments!

No combat. No checkpoints. Don’t get caught!

Free on GooglePlay
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... edThievery

Paction Games on the web
https://pactiongames.com/

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 17 Sep 2021, 11:34

SpiderHeck in open beta.. Spiders with laser swords! Played it a bit with kiddo 1 yesterday. It's pretty good! PVE was not that fun really. But we had some good rounds of local PVP.

(Click request acces)

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 18 Sep 2021, 11:25

Hot damn!! 🤩🤯 sexylexi!

Returnal VFX breakdown

More on
https://housemarque.com/news/2021/9/15/ ... -breakdown

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 20 Sep 2021, 08:55

Krita 5 beta. (super duper free open source Photoshop alternative)

Beta download link
https://krita.org/en/item/first-beta-fo ... -released/

Also Godot 4 is inching closer every day on the open source scene. Should have been released mid 2020.. buuut that deadline is missed quite hard by now. ;) But eventually! Let's see when it lands in a public stable build! :)

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 20 Sep 2021, 15:01

So in the (almost endless) quest of finding the perfect GIT client. An old colleague gave me a tip on GitFork!

** AND YES!! Even if you are a solo developer you also need version control! It is simply stupid not to. Any version control with online repository is better than nothing.

History is that SourceTree becomes useless sluggish crap when projects meets a certain size.

After that I gave VS Code a shot from a colleagues recommendation.. works fine and is free! But I just hated that messy user interface.

GIT Kraken also seems ok nice!.. only did small tests. Free for solo users but not all features are available beyond a trial period. Otherwise it's subscription based. Also not a fan of subscriptions I tend to avoid that as much as possible.

After that I jumped on GitHub Desktop.. and quite happily! Love the super simple interface. It's really sleek and easy to work with. Performance is generally really nice. Though did have some large GB pushes that I had to split up in chunks (>Could< also have been the online repo wasn't happy about it). And recently at work I ran into some trouble with when pulling wwise related project files. That ended up taking way too long. It's still a great piece of software. But with some performance issues. And of cause it is not a fully featured GIT client.

So I had to look a bit further and currently on GitFork. There is a free evaluation. (Not actually sure if there is a time limit?!?!). Otherwise a single purchase of $49.99 is well spent and supporting the developers. So far it has been performing flawlessly. A bit more complex to navigate compared to Github Desktop but it's not a big issue really. But a full recommendation with my current needs and understanding. Protip.. hold Ctrl when clicking to push/pull to skip pop ups. Or keyboard shortcut Shift+Crtl+Alt+L to pull. ** Adding.. there is actually short cut keys for 'everything normal operation'. Once learned it becomes such a breeze to work with. :D

Give it a shot!
https://git-fork.com/

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 23 Sep 2021, 11:30

Sad news from Audacity Interactive and their Scarlet Republics. :cry:

Mad props for giving the dream a shot! And even completing a successful Kickstarter!

I've met Olmo a few times out in the wild over the years. :) Hope he and the team will find their footing and let the dream live again at some point. In an older and wiser version and not burning out people in the process. <3
Best whishes to everybody involved!

Making games is bloody hard! Getting to the point of surviving and thriving on them is even harder!

The End of Scarlet Republics

We have failed...

Now it is time to talk about it.

We have given it our best, tried everything to push through our obstacles and challenges. Despite our best efforts, we have run out of energy and money to sustain Audacity Interactive and the development of Scarlet Republics.

We faced many challenges along the way, and those challenges wore us down slowly. We have to look reality in the eye: we have run out of steam. Also, it has taken a toll on our health, with several members having symptoms of stress and experiencing burnout.

..... the rest here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... ts/3304445

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 24 Sep 2021, 10:19

Awww this looks cute! :D

Also free playable demo on Steam. Looks like it's basically the old Rampage game but with physics. Must give it a play when there is time.

I played the PC version of Rampage (1987) on friends computers. :D Originally the arcade version is from 1986. Member berries on!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 24 Sep 2021, 12:40

DK project formely known as Masters of Eptora. Now known as 'Godstone'. (Much more memorable title me thinks! So good call on the rename in that light!)

Spiludvikling thread by @Neraxa
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5018

Godstone now has a closed beta! Signup in the discord in the Twitter link. And also a release date and a beta trailer. Looking forward to giving it a spin! :)

The game will be launching on itch in a little while.. Somewhere in October I think.
https://dementedplant.itch.io/godstone

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 27 Sep 2021, 10:21

DK release. 'Being a Monster' is small free playable prelude to 'ER: Patient Typhon' release from the indie team Professional Villains.

Grab it here
https://professional-villains.itch.io/being-a-monster

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 27 Sep 2021, 10:25

Game IP Trailer for the netflix series Arcane - League of Legends. Looks like some DAMN nice top notch quality animation right there! Well! Guess I'll have a curiosity peek when lands November 6th 2021 on that basis alone.

Also in the game IP TV series news. A first frame from The Last of Us series. Looks true to the world!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 30 Sep 2021, 22:38

It seems that Valve is working on a new stand alone VR headset. Codenamed Deckard. (Blade Runner reference) :D

We should probably expect something along the lines of (based on the video and some extra personal speculation.
And of cause nothing is officially confirmed! Not even the existence of the headset. But it is very much a natural, logical continuation of their current VR efforts. So I would count it as a very likely scenario to materialize sooner or later).

Some of the speculated features of the next steam stand alone VR headset 'Deckard'
- Running SteamOS Linux based Arch Linux variant like the SteamDeck.
- Has virtual desktop functionality built in.
- Powerful hardware capable of running Half Life Alyx in stand alone mode.
- Prism system.. (spectulating that this is a eye tracked foveated rendering system with a small, but very high resolution focus area like the Varjo headsets that follows eye movement). And it will be absolutely amazing. Perfect for reading and virtual desktop applications.
- Inside out tracking and built in audio obviously.

If they can manage to get all this and more into a comfortable package at a 'friendly' price point. It could indeed be a very competitive system if they can get the timing and everything right.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 01 Oct 2021, 15:09

Deep Rock Galactic: The Board Game is coming to Kickstarter! Very cool! :D

It's not exactly because they need a Kickstarter to finish the game.
It can only be a pure marketing/preorder move and a good one at that! :)

And let me guess! The goal will be met swiftly when the Kickstarter launches (probably) somewhere in 22!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 01 Oct 2021, 15:25

(DK) Half Past Yellow has released a playable prologue of their charming game, Trading Time.

Will totally take it for a spin! :D

Free prologue on Steam!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 03 Oct 2021, 19:00

Two Minute Papers - This AI Learned Some Crazy Fighting Moves! 🥊

Real time fighting with machine learning. I could imagine we would see systems like this shipping with the larger game engines in the not too distant future. For now there are Unity projects on github. The controls are not as tight as in more arcade like games. But for anything on the realistic side it is quite remarkable.
https://github.com/sebastianstarke/AI4Animation
https://github.com/sebastianstarke/AI4A ... /Paper.pdf

Playable demos here! :cool: Of the slightly older basketball and doggie things.
http://www.starke-consult.de/AI4Animati ... indows.zip
http://www.starke-consult.de/AI4Animati ... indows.zip