What is the norm in Denmark?

uluulu
Level 3 - Infant

What is the norm in Denmark?

Unread post by uluulu » 21 Aug 2014, 13:15

Hey there,
Just returned from a few years in Singapore and Malaysia and was wondering what was the norm with employment here in DK? Do people work on per (game) project or on permanent contracts?

And.... are all companies here married to Unity3D? Anyone developing in UE3/UE4 etc?

Jesper Kondrup
Level 27 - Drooling zombie

Re: What is the norm in Denmark?

Unread post by Jesper Kondrup » 21 Aug 2014, 19:58

I think it's pretty much Unity all the way around I only know one company that uses UE, Interceptor Entertainment. Unity probably has a strong grip in the Danish market because there's so many indie developers.

Vanulla_Ace
Level 12 - Master of the dark arts

Unread post by Vanulla_Ace » 21 Aug 2014, 22:37

I can only confirm Kondrups views on engine use in DK. If you want a job in the DK game industry, 90% chance you are going to be working with Unity.

Regarding employment, I would say, that most people are in permanent positions. There are exceptions though, as sometimes there has been secured enough funding for a prototype or the like, but in that case it will often be time-limited employment (usually 2-6 months), and not based on being hired for a complete game.

However, as most DK studios are less than 20 people, if you do something very specific, they won't have the volume to employ someone full-time to to do f.ex. Audio, Music, Video Editing or maybe PR. So for these areas you might just be hired on a freelance basis. But other than that , I think it's mostly permanent hires.

Given the small size of many DK developers though, a permanent position may not always be especially safe, as many companies up- and downsize constantly, or may go out of business completely.

But yeah - Unity is a really good bet, if you want job in the DK industry, and apart from that, I can recommend trying out some gamejams, or coming to the Spilbar-talks to build a network and meet some people.
*** Doing stuff for myself, for others, and for Interactive Denmark
My FB page about Danish Game Development (in Danish)
Mostly active on Twitter as @vanulla_ace

Copenhagenjazz
Level 4 - Newbie

Unread post by Copenhagenjazz » 22 Aug 2014, 13:53

At IO we use our own engine - G2. In many ways quite comparable to UE4.

What kind of work do you do? We have some available positions at IO; http://www.ioi.dk/?page_id=20

Welcome back to DK btw :)
Senior Environment Artist

https://www.artstation.com/januskirk

køkkenting
Level 2 - Grain of sand

Unread post by køkkenting » 23 Aug 2014, 21:08

At my company we are using our own engine based on XNA. It does not have a name, but I will probably start calling it "Freedom" or "Liberty".

uluulu
Level 3 - Infant

Unread post by uluulu » 27 Aug 2014, 00:23

Thanks for the great answers.

With regards to Unity, then that was what I somehow expected since most are concidering themself indie developers. I have been messing around with it for a while, but nothing serious in matters of game dev yet. I did expect that sound etc is generally temp assignments. Am personally most into the developent side of it - and if horrible 3D stickmen is your thing.

@Copenhagenjazz Yea I know about the Glacier Engine. I visited IO some years ago - think it is 4-5 years back now (could be more) where I had a talk with several people there, but nothing panned out. Mostly because I weren't ready for the weather here. Thought about reapplying for something at IO, but when I looked at the IO jobpage I could see that all the Dev jobs posted there were dated almost a year back, so thought they were old and no longer relevant?

Anyway have been warming up to try to work in a smaller team where it would be possible to work on more things, or simply get my own project up in the air within the next year. Am not hard pressed for work at the moment, so am taking my time settling in and trying to ease my way back into the country slowly ;)

I have generally been focusing on C++, Networking. AI, NPC have been the main focus for some time now. Am also well versed in C#.

The last Spilbar sounded quite interesting and will see what else comes up in the future.

Sorry for the late reply btw, but I was damn sure that I already replied to this post - but apparently not - or some other forum got an reply that didn't make any sense at all to the subject?

(Og hvorfor bliver der ikke snakket Dansk her?)

Jesper Kondrup
Level 27 - Drooling zombie

Unread post by Jesper Kondrup » 27 Aug 2014, 07:12

The language in the thread is set by OP, but it's most often in Danish :)

You can always send an unsolicited application to IO and any other company for that matter.
I think we had a list of Danish game companies in here some time ago.. Does anyone know the link to that?

If you are going to work in Unity, C# experience is definitely a plus.

EDIT: http://www.spiludvikling.dk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8