News! Tech! Tools! Talks! Games! And Stuff Worth Sharing!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Re: News! Tech! Tools! Talks! Games! And Stuff Worth Sharing!

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 29 Apr 2020, 13:30

New engine: The Machinery (Currently in beta)

https://ourmachinery.com/

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 29 Apr 2020, 18:19

4 years later. And Deep Rock Galactic 1.0 is launching out of Early Access May 14th.

Grats to my old colleagues! From the Deadline Games and Massive days. And the rest of the team.

Also the game is actually pretty cool! :)

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 30 Apr 2020, 09:46

The next chapter in Playwood's WarTile. Hel's Nightmare is on the way as DLC! Releasing May 5th.
WarTile also came out on consoles recently.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 30 Apr 2020, 18:20

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Cinematic World Premiere Trailer

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 05 May 2020, 10:39

Not a game!

But the Danish Star Wars fan film 'Shrouded Destiny: A Star Wars Long Tale' has a trailer now.
Starring Møns Klint! and Lars Mikkelsen.

A super impressive project spanning 3 years and 300 volunteers. It's seems to be pretty much on par with what you would expect a high effort fanfilm to have now a days.

They are planning to pitch it to Disney for an even larger project.

Shrouded Destiny: A Star Wars Long Tale - 4K Full Length Trailer (A Fan Film)

Personally I have yet to see a Star Wars fanfilm (ok I don't watch that many) that is better than 'Troops' (1997). Usually fanfilms fall in the trap of taking themselves too seriously and not really delivering a fully enjoyable and watchable experience. Troops is still bloody brilliant!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 05 May 2020, 11:16

DK project AKAI NOROI got a release date reveal trailer.
Quite impressive (I think) solo project

From Northplay a DR client project is out on mobile.
Det Vilde Vidunderlige Naturspil
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... turspillet
https://apps.apple.com/uy/app/vilde-vid ... 1508132457

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 05 May 2020, 11:19

A rhythm based first person shooter.. well why not! :)

BPM: BULLETS PER MINUTE - RHYTHM FPS - Announcement Trailer

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 05 May 2020, 11:52

Another DK project was a bit late to introduce is:

'Help! I am REALLY horny!'

A dating adventure game with an adult rating. (Login to Steam required)

From https://www.professionalvillains.com/

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 05 May 2020, 22:44

Unity acquires the visual programming tool Bolt. (Not Ludiq the company behind it)

I guess they will make it free with Unity sooner or later like ProBooleans etc.?!
I hope they improve Bolt a lot. I didn't have the best experience with it. Just simple adding a node takes ages (well ok annoying seconds) for a simple menu to show up. And just getting super simple stuff to work was not very intuitive.
I prefer Flow Canvas by a large margin (even with it's own flaws). Hope the acquisition won't affect the support of Flow Canvas too much. But I do have my concerns.

In visual programming shader land I dabbed a around in Unity's Shader Graph at work. Making awesome shaders for out next project. And it's actually a really nice tool! But I'm pretty sure it killed Shader Forge indirectly.
Amplify Shader is still around supported on all the renderpiplines it seems. Interestingly Unity themselves was not doing that with their own solution.

I hope the Unity team can give Bolt a proper treatment. But my hopes are not super high for acquired tech. But Unity is far behind Unreal Engine 4 with Blueprint in the same area. And their new proprietary 'Visual Scripting' is DOTS only. And in development. Godot also has visual programming out of the box.
The Bolt acquisition seems like a bit of a patchy solution to give Unity users a (likely potential out of the box), solution for visual programming. A bit late. But better late than never I guess.
Also expecting it will be Bolt 2 that will eventually be part of Unity. Which in theory should already be a great improvement over the former version. But this is obviously speculation for the moment.
https://ludiq.io/blog/unity-acquires-bolt

[SIGGRAPH 2020] AnisoMPM: Animating Anisotropic Damage Mechanics... bad ass simulation!

MicroProse is reborn!
3 announced projects in the works.
https://www.microprose.com/

Embergen is now in Beta
https://jangafx.com/software/embergen/

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 05 May 2020, 23:16

Open Source 2D vector illustration software, Inkscape has finally reached version 1.0

https://inkscape.org/release/inkscape-1.0/

Unreal-Engine 4.25 released

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog ... 5-released

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 06 May 2020, 13:14

The demo scene is rocking 256 bytes demos now for MS-DOS. Black magic right there.

"Memories" - 256 byte MSDOS intro

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 07 May 2020, 10:59

I linked up Ghostrunner a little while ago.
In the meantime 3DRealms picked it up as a partnership of sort. I also guess their internal studio Slipgate Ironworks did some work on it. So now Ghostrunner has been infused with a tiny bit of dkgame blood.

And now the FREE DEMO is out on Steam!

It's a really cool and well crafted parkour speed runner. Most certainly on the hard side of things. For young people who likes to challenge their reflexes. Old pops here DID make it through the demo for the record! ;)
But I suspect I would rather quickly hit a difficulty spike in the full game and have to put in on the shelf.

Personally I'm more into Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance type of cyber ninja slashing games. It's absolutely bad ass! And hoping there eventually be a sequel. But hopes are not too high.
Also top down 2D slasher Akane is a really nice little arena slasher game recommended.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 07 May 2020, 12:03

So the Xbox Series X gameplay first look is going live very soon. In about 5 hours from this post time.
Unreal Engine 4 already supports the nextgen consoles from version 4.25. And Ray-tracing in also deemed production ready.
I have spotted no word from Unity on nextgen console support yet. But obviously they will eventually announce support for both platforms.

Also just wondering in general why Microsoft is not selling the series X as a gaming console AND also a fully fledged gaming PC if the user chose to opt for keyboard+mouse. It's the same hardware and a similar OS core. And it would be a super sweet unique selling point over the competition. That they actually need. Their gaming library has a harder time competing with Nintendo And Sony in general.
Having a full Windows 10 running besides the Xbos OS on a virtual machine should separate the 2 systems properly. With super fast SSDs it 'should (without know specific technical detail)' be quite possible without eating too much into the already ample system resources.
Perhaps it's just down to PR and keeping platform communication simple as separate systems for store/commercial reasons. And keeping the Xbox users away from Steam in their own fold.
But as a (mainly) PC gamer I see very little reason to go for an XBOX with very few interesting exclusives. A hybrid system could in theory loosen that up and make the next hardware upgrade fall on a hybrid XBOX/Windows 10 system for some users.

Inside Xbox Presents First Look Xbox Series X Gameplay

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 07 May 2020, 20:54

And a few positive surprises from the Xbox Series X reveal! Also MicroSoft need to learn better communication. Perhaps they shouldn't tell the public it's 'gameplay'. When there is only a percentage of the gametrailers showing small bits of actual gameplay here and there. Super easily fixed by simple wording 'game reveals'. Oh well.

Scorn is still alive! (Kickstarted back in 2017) And looking better than ever! H.R. Giger styled all the way. Still unknown if they will actually manage to pull a decent gameplay experience. An earlier play demo wasn't that super interesting. Time will tell.

The Medium.. looks cool! A lot of Zdzislaw Beksinski artistic influence. ;)

The Ascent
Coop enabled, top down, ARPG and also releasing on PC.. I'm in! :)
Some of my former colleagues on this one (Magnus and Tor.. oh and the writer too. Not in the picture). And just a friendly reminder dkgame. This was made in 2 years by a team of 11'ish people (obviously highly talented, experienced and hard working individuals). And there will be some more time spent before release.
But it looks like it will be a far cry from the danish standard (naturally not in all cases) of spending that 5,6,7,8 years on projects (and rarely making a financial viable product in the end). In general we have some catching up to do! ;)
Not that I am saying that rushing out releases for the sake of it is THE way to go. Making (hopefully) successful games is a long chain of events that has to line up perfectly before ends meets. And the local funding opportunities and talent pool differs also compared to Sweden. But a bit of raw efficiency can always inspire for the better.

These guys at NeonGiant

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 07 May 2020, 21:32

Unsung Warriors
Played the demo through here. Really enjoyable if you are into not overly complex platformers.
The controls and mechanics feels really tight and gels well together.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 07 May 2020, 23:56

Angle Tool seems like a bad ass modeling tool for Blender.

Get it on Blendermarket for fairly cheap
https://blendermarket.com/products/angle-tool?ref=2

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 08 May 2020, 09:40

More bad-assery coming from Epic to Unreal Engine 4. This time a fully integrated volumetric cloud system is on the way.

Quixel and Sky Atmosphere System Overview | Unreal Engine

Exploring the depths of the new Sky & Atmosphere system | Unreal Engine

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 08 May 2020, 10:08

Should Game Designers Listen to Negative Player Feedback? | Game Maker's Toolkit

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 08 May 2020, 10:22

More free stuff on Humble Bundle for a limited time.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/ashe ... -free-game

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 08 May 2020, 10:28

OddBallers from (DK) Game Swing. The team behind the wonderfully entertaining Stikbold now has a trailer.

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 08 May 2020, 10:35

4 days until the release of Jet Lancer on PC and Switch by developers Vladimir Fedyushkin and Nicolai Danielsen. Technically 50% dkdev but without a DK registered company.

UPDATE:
The game sound track is added to Spotify

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 09 May 2020, 13:27

Sony be working on next VR tech for the PlayStation 5 (one might presume). Looking good so far! Albeit with a some jiggle still.
Judging from a technical stand point of the current prototype. Also interesting to note they are using the Vive tracking units. One might suspect they also have their own new and updated tracking system on the table for the next gen VR device in the works. And the Vive tracking units was just super easy to put on while working on the prototype.

Prototype PlayStation Next-Gen VR Controllers With Finger-Tracking!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 13 May 2020, 14:45

What the Golf comes to Switch with a new 2 player mode. Cool!

jonaz.dk
Site Admin

Unread post by jonaz.dk » 13 May 2020, 14:47

Multiscription announces Unleashd subscription service for free-to-play games
Multiscription has unveiled Unleashd, an in-game subscription service that can create a new source of revenue for free-to-play games.
https://venturebeat.com/2020/05/13/mult ... lay-games/